What does being literate in our country mean?
When I heard this question, the first thing that popped into my head was power; being literate in our country means to be at an advantage. To better understand why I feel this way, I cannot help but think about the feelings I have had in foreign countries where I was unable to make sense of texts that surrounded me; I felt nervous, insecure, and vulnerable, I was dependent on those around me to make sense of what I could not. These feelings were unknown to me and scary, being able to read is vital. I cannot help but wonder if those people in our country who are unable to read English feel this same way; whether they are young children learning or people who are learning English as a second language.
As a member of a culture that values literacy, I learned how to read pretty young. I developed typically for my age, learning in a series of steps; although I do not remember frustration, I am sure I felt it. As a soon to be educator, I am beginning to experience the challenges that exist for those learning to read. I am confident that this quarter I will learn a lot about the process of reading and strategies to help best accommodate all types of learners.
Part 2
Read-aloud books have always been an important part of my life. I have many fond memories of being read to, both at home and in the classroom. As I continue my journey into teaching, I value my many life experiences with read-alouds and believe that I will continue this form of education in my own classroom some day; but being new in the world of education, I have grappled with the challenges of wanting to teach a really awesome lesson, or book, but lacking academic substance that integrates into the curriculum. As I become savvier with my teaching, I understand that really great ideas can be modified to include standards and read-aloud storybooks can contain curriculum.
I just finished reading the article titled “Brining the Ice Maiden to life: Engaging adolescents in learning through picture book read-alouds in content areas,” this article states that it is possible to stimulate a higher level of thinking through the use of read-aloud books, while covering curriculum. As I aim to teach middle level humanities, I am fascinated by the option of using picture books as a means of supplementing content areas and stimulating a higher level of learning. Stated in the article, the author suggests approaching read-alouds with a three step process: step 1 planning, step 2 preparing, and step 3 producing. Through the combination of these three steps students engage, discuss, and become acquainted with a story’s place and time. Through choosing an appropriate book, teachers are able to facilitate learning through a story book, instead of through a regular style of instruction.
As I learn more throughout our program, I become more and more excited upon learning about the different ways to engage my students.
Reading is power. So much of what we do involves reading. Even being able to read symbols in a foreign country can be difficult. Our job as educators directly affects what kind of lives our students will have and what they will be able to pursue in their future. It is a heavy responsibility. But it is also rewarding as we see students grasp the concepts we teach them.
ReplyDelete