Read Every Day!!

Read Every Day!!
Read Every Day!!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Math Blog Feb. 28

In class tonight we were introduced to the online tool, Tinker Plots.  This tool allows students the ability to manipulate data on a graph and allows the user the ability to explore all the different attributes on a graph and how they can change when one variable is manipulated.  I love the idea of children making connections through their own exploration.  I know that as a student of math, I solve problems and understand equations at a pace different than many other people; in addition I enjoy learning on my own terms.  What I have learned from this is that by offering my students the tools that they need to explore a problem; chances are they are going to learn.  I have realized that math isn’t just standing in front the classroom telling students different concepts; it’s about group work, collaboration, exploration, and connecting to the real world.  I have also learned that teaching in this style is not easy and it takes a lot of planning and creative thinking on the teachers end, but I know as a student myself, this style of learning is much more fun and relatable to real life. 

The implications for this style of teaching in the classroom is huge.  Aside from student’s engagement through fun interactive means, I think that students will remember these concepts better.  One of my biggest struggles as a new teacher, is that I have never taught before, and aside from what I have been taught recently, my other frame of reference comes from my early schooling in math where there was a lot of plug and chug; as a result, I still struggle with the why question when students probe me for more.  Therefore, I have learned that it is important to educate students with the why explanation and through methods that allow students the ability to manipulate and explore new concepts introduced to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment