Read Every Day!!

Read Every Day!!
Read Every Day!!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Week One

1.  What did I learn?
In class today we worked in partners to solve algebraic math problems.  After the first problem, counting the garden squares, my partner quickly solved the problem and immediately shared her solution with me.  I found it great to hear how she solved the problem, but I had needed more time to solve the problem for myself; in addition the method she developed differed from where my mind was trying to go.   I immediately noticed that when I did not have enough time to solve the problem myself, listening to how other people solved the same problem did not help me; it confused me more!  For the second problem, my partner gave me more time to solve the problem before we shared our thinking; from there I was able to understand her method.  I found my situation interesting because I could imagine the same scenario occurring with elementary students.  From this I learned that students need individual time to process, and the amount of time to process will vary for each student. 
2.  What do I still have questions about?
Is it ok to allow students the option to work independently or with a partner? What if a student prefers to always work alone?
3.  What are the implications for classroom practice?
The implication for classroom practice is that students learn differently and students think through problems differently, therefore it is important that a classroom cater to all the needs of the individual learner by offering a variety of opportunities for each type of learner to thrive.   

No comments:

Post a Comment